Saturday, March 1, 2008

And so it goes....

The joys and pains of being the adult in charge...

Yesterday was definately a day of chatchup for me. Doing laundry, mopping floors, and cleaning various messes from the days I was sick (i.e. Liesel's entire container of wipes pulled out and scattered around her room). I decided to make cookies for the boys after school snack to make up for the days that daddy packed their lunches and forgot a "treat". I made a few dozen Chocolate Chip cookies and had them cooling on the counter when I noticed that a few (don't know exactly how many) were missing and the dog had that "What did I do?" look. He seemed fine, so I just absorbed the loss and went on with making dinner.

Everything was great. All four kids were bathed in bed by 7:30. Calvin and Liesel in Calvin's bed (One of our favorite new sleeping combinations). Emmitt in my bed so that he wasn't lonely and Teddy in his crib. Clayton had to work late so this was my chance to get the house clean, bread made and fulfill my grocery order online. My new favorite thing to do!
Amazon.com has started a new service in our area called Amazon Fresh where I can just click on the items on my grocery list and place an order by midnight to be delivered before 6 am the next morning! They deliver all of my groceries in secured plastic bins and I just get up in the morning and like magic, there they are on my doorstep!


When we are done unloading, we just stack the bins and leave them on our front porch and they pick them up! No more late night grocery store trips for me. Now I can shop in my jammies on my couch! Did I mention that delivery is FREE!!!
I should be their new spokesperson! This is the best thing ever. The prices are great and the quality has been amazing so far.

So, I placed my order at about 9:30 and Clayton called to say he was on his way home. Then, my friend Annie called from Fred Meyer to tell me that all of their clearance shoes were now an additional 70% off! All of you that know me know that I couldn't miss that, so as soon as Clayton walked in I was on my way to buy some shoes.....7 pairs for $50!!! I got each of the kids a pair and one to grow into! What a great night it was turning out to be!

When I got home, we went to bed. Leaving the dog out of his crate to make sure he would not be barking before dawn when the groceries were delivered. This is where the cookies come back into play. Clayton and I were not sleeping well with Emmitt in the middle of us and Max acting a little strange. It was 3:30 am when I awoke to a horrible smell.....yup!.......Dog vomit and poop all over my floor and BED! The dog was very sick and it was all over the bed and our feet! EEEEEEEEWWW!
This is where being an adult really came in handy!

1. Put the dog in his crate
2. Move Emmitt to the couch
3. Wake up Clayton to let him know there was dog vomit on his feet
(I had to do this step 3 times to get him to understand the severity!)
4. Move baby to upstairs crib.
5. Strip bed
6. Spray cleaner everywhere
7. Open windows
8. Send Clayton to bed
9. Find caffiene and drink!!!!

Emmitt and I have been up since, Calvin and Liesel have been up since 6 and, you guessed it, Daddy and Teddy are sound asleep.

On the bright side, there were ten bins of groceries on my doorstep for me to unload at 5 am, so I didn't go for one moment being bored!
I guess I should have included some carpet cleaner in the order!

2 comments:

Jacque said...

Oh my goodness! I worried about the dog from the beginning of your post, and my worry was not in vain. Then I worried about YOU. But your tone tells me that you came through it with your usual resilience.

I love the Amazon grocery idea. I'm pretty sure it isn't available in little Twin Falls, ID, but I'll check anyway.

Keep up the good work on your blog. I love to read it.

Melissa said...

Ugh...what a night! But on the bright side, you have Amazon Fresh! We love them too. We live on the third floor and I know it is going to be a lifeline when our second baby comes this summer!